It’s May and Memorial Day weekend is around the corner. If you live in Indianapolis, you know what that means – it’s time for the “Greatest Spectacle in Racing”. Getting ready for the Indianapolis 500 is just like getting ready for a job interview – it’s imperative that you are prepped and ready to go! Here’s our tips to get you race ready:
- Wear comfy shoes. There’s a surprising amount of walking to watch cars drive around a track. You’ll be sporting your shoes all day, so make sure you chose comfort over fashion.
- Bring sunscreen. Even if race day is overcast, you’ll still risk getting burnt being outside all day. Make sure to pack it with you so you can re-apply during the festivities.
- Pack snacks. You can bring a small cooler into the race with you – size 18″ by 14″ by 14″. You’ll be so happy when your munching on a sandwich watching the cars whiz by. One thing you cannot pack = glass containers.
- Bring a radio or radio headset. Quick jump over to Amazon and prime yourself a headset with an FM radio in it so you can hear all the action as it happens. What happens if there’s a crash on the back stretch and you’re sitting in Turn 1? You’ll be the most popular person in your section when you give everyone around you the scoop from your headset.
- Plan your parking. Hopefully if you are headed to the race, when you bought your tickets you also bought a parking pass. If not, fear not, there are plenty of places to park, but leave with PLENTY of time to get there. Prepare for traffic to be like driving in the slow lane on 465 in rush hour traffic. Other transportation options include race day shuttle buses or you could bike to the 500.
- Pack your patience. It may be slow heading to the Speedway, but it will definitely be slow as you leave. Use the time to tailgate after the fun, see the winner and ceremonies and soak up the final minutes before next year!
After your race day fun – take the next day off. We will too as TGHR offices will be closed on Monday for Memorial Day. We’ll back in action on Tuesday – well rested from a great race!